Monday, April 23, 2012

Biking instead of walking.

I walk everywhere. As long as I'm not going more than 5 - 10 miles out of the way, I'm walking. I try to drive as minimally as possible, and usually only get in the vehicle when I'm going to my job in Kenwood or riding down to North Carolina. I drive everywhere in NC and while I'd love to write about a walking trip there.. I'm not there. Living in the city makes walking so much easier, I'm going to walk the shit out of the mountains when I get home.

So, as the warmth of the season has picked up, I decided to bring my bike here to Cincinnati. On a walking day, I'm confident in my ability to get on campus in around 7 - 10 minutes and then into class in 3 - 5 minutes. Well, the bike makes the trip to campus around 4 minutes, then I still walk to where ever the class is simply because the hills and architecture of the place is completely un-biker-friendly. With that said, this bike riding thing was no easy task. While I bragged about the awesome condition my legs are in to anyone who'd listen, I didn't realize that walking legs do not equal biking legs. I had to figure out the route to campus like I'd never done it in my life.

The first morning I biked, I took an entirely wrong way. On a very chilly Monday morning at 9am, I decided to go up a hill around the EPA instead of just cutting through like I would had I been walking. Never, ever realized how steep that hill is. I can walk it and usually be slightly panting when I hit the top.... but with the bike.. I didn't even make it halfway. I have to reiterate: walking legs DO NOT EQUAL biking legs. I learned that quickly. So, I decided to resume my cutting through the EPA parking lot. While, yes, this worked out better, my legs still weren't conditioned and I had to figure out how to get across the street and ride up the sidewalk in the most courteous fashion possible. I realize riding a bike on the sidewalk is usually a no-no, but I decided to give the rules amiss for the sake of my trip.

After a while I learned about the most subtle differences of altitudes. I now know which ways to turn to find a downhill that will later serve to propel an uphill. Uphills don't even give me too much trouble anymore, but I take them as infrequently as possible. I ride mostly uphill to my campus job but that's simply because I know the trip back will be mostly downhill and the exhilaration of the wind whipping past my face is something I crave enough to struggle as much as I can before I give myself over to the evil exhaustion-gods. I've also discovered that my own street is a slight downhill when on the return home. It allows me to coast at a great speed so I can remove my feet from the pedals and stick them into the air.

I love that bike thing. It's been a passion of mine since I was young. Used to ride into town when I was 17 via the bike path. Didn't mean to, but lost around 12lbs in two weeks.. but I was in the best shape of my life... Well, maybe I shouldn't say that. I suppose there's always room to be that way again. My dad got me started on the bike when I could barely walk let alone ride a bike. He strapped a small plastic seat to the back of his large yellow bike and pedaled us down to the DQ where I was then spoon-fed an Oreo Blizzard. Still my favorite blizzard.


I'm always worried I missed the point. I didn't walk, sorry... but me and the bike have a cute little past and present.

No comments: