Friday, May 18, 2012

Hey! This computer isn't broken!

Well, I finally got my lovely computer back and powered through my afternoon finishing up my music video. It's so overdue, but I just wouldn't have been satisfied if I hadn't finished it. It was a lot of fun to make.

Decided to gather clips of dubstep concerts and use an orchestral remix of Skrillex songs to make a music video. I love the orchestral piece so much that when I go back and listen to the originals, it just sounds like someone fucked up the violins with dubstep. Skrillex sucks as a dubstep artist... I mean, he's not as bad as Deadmau5, he's definitely worse than Pretty Lights and is certainly no Bassnectar or Glitch Mob, but I fell in love with the orchestral version and when you're in love with a song, what else is there? Ha.

So I'm waiting for this thing to process but, here's my reasoning.

As I mentioned, I heard this song and was like "fuck the original." Usually, I'm not that type of person. I don't even like live versions of songs 95% of the time (but I do love concerts). I heard this and it was just so well done and ... coming from a ballet background, I love violins, violas, cellos, bass. They're all so pretty. But I'm a fanatic for the electronic stuff. Have you ever heard an electric violin?! It's SO cool. I'm into music where they don't sing, but use sound clips as their "lyrics," and yes, I love dubstep. I fucking hate when someone just takes a sawtooth wave and screeches the hell out of it for 3 - 4 minutes, but a well done dubstep song that's actually worth my 3 - 4 minutes, makes me a very happy camper. So, inevitably, I've developed a liking for remixes.. Considering all Pretty Lights does is (in his words) "take soul tracks and make them hot." It's good stuff when the guy actually understands the fundamentals of what makes a good song and is daring enough to change it up.

I think I've digressed. My point here - when you hear a remix, you're hearing the song from another artist's perspective. Think of how fucking many versions of David Bowie's "Changes" there are. Most people don't even know it's Bowie's original. "Yesterday" by the Beatles is the most widely redone song in the entire world (please talk to the Beatles professor for the validity of this statement). Most people either take to or resist remixes because they liked their initial perspective of the song.. or like the new perspective they're presented with. I decided to lay the orchestral version over clips of actual dubstep concerts because the altered perspective it elicits. Seriously, you can't wait to see this video. ;]

Realized I uploaded a shitty resolution so I'm redoing everything. Will post the link ASAP.

Link, yo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH6qRdN7X1U

-Marisa

No comments: